He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young
. {Isaiah 40:11}

02 May 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

So yesterday was the DIY mocha frappe {with caramel, of course!} and I mentioned that you can make your own chocolate syrup using milk and cocoa. I must correct myself... the recipe I had in mind was for hot fudge for an ice cream topping which is so delicious! This recipe calls for water, sugar,and cocoa... you can also add vanilla extract and salt.

So here it is... adapted from diy Natural

What You'll Need:
1 c water
1 c sugar (you can use organic cane sugar but I used plain white)
1/2 c cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)

1/4 t vanilla extract (optional)
1/8 t sea salt (optional)

What To Do:
In a 2 quart pan (yes, 2 quart... I used a 1 quart and it nearly boiled over a couple of times) mix water, sugar, and cocoa over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, turn down to medium heat and stir continuously for 8-10 minutes. (Seriously, stir continuously because it will boil over!)

See?!
The syrup thickens as it cooks and eight minutes was good for me.
If  you're like me and you like things pretty basic, stop here. You're done.


If you'd like it to taste more like the Hershey's syrup you know and love, add the vanilla and salt after removing the pan from the heat and stir in well. (I don't particularly love the alcohol flavor of the extract so I skip them both.)

Leave the saucepan off the heat to cool and store in a container of your choosing. I use a pint sized mason jar with a screw on lid.

So yummy and makes great chocolate milk!

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I am so sorry... I somehow managed to delete your comment. I'm so glad you found what you needed here. As for refrigeration, its water based so I assume it doesn't need to be but I do. Mostly because I have the space for it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!! going to try and make it today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi can I use light cocoa powder
    Please reply
    Thanks and it look excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for such a late reply but yes, if you mean using regular semi-sweet cocoa powder vs dark chocolate... it will work too.

      Delete

I always love a good comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails