He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young
. {Isaiah 40:11}

14 July 2011

She Who Taught Me How to Sew

I want to introduce you to someone today...
Everyone, say hello to my mother, "Queen Bee". 

{Hi, Ma!}
Mother of lots. Wife of one. Martha Stewart's long lost sister. Amazingly good cook. Experimenter. Cookie baker. Hot chocolate maker. Fiercely independent middle child. Teacher of all things crafty. 
 
I knew that eventually she'd make an appearance here but I wasn't sure when until I sat in her sewing room with her the other day talking and realized how that room seemed to bring together all the things that I love about "home". I'm not sure it's the kitchen that makes my parent's house a home, for me, I think it's the sewing room.
My parents put an addition on their home several years ago and turned their old garage into a sewing room for my mom.
I'm a smidge jealous.
The idea of having a place dedicated to creativity makes me giddy.
Maybe someday.
...soon... {more details later}...
Anyway... now that mom is done raising her babies, she has time for sewing and her room sees plenty of use.
 

She has a walk in closet dedicated to, what she calls, her "stash". I think it could pass as more of a "store". Not only does she have enough fabric to hang an "OPEN" sign on her front door and start charging but she is insanely generous and lets me pick through her goods as often as I'd like.

I love that she loves fabric!

She has two sewing machine tables so we can both work in there or she can have her sewing buddies over. I head to her house with the kids when I have a project to finish and no motivation to get it done. I can focus up there.

She has one large cutting island on wheels that she can roll away when she needs the floor space for laying out her patterns or tying off quilts.

Best of all, she has a large screen, wall mounted TV, a DVD player, and a radio so you can be entertained while sitting at a sewing machine or handstitching in the glider.

A crafter's haven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love a good comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails