He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young
. {Isaiah 40:11}

15 October 2015

Southwick Zoo - Mendon, MA

I don't like zoos.
I have my reasons. Let's just leave it at that.
So when Hubs asked if I wanted to take the kids to the zoo to work on animal classification I though. "Eh".
I've been told by friends that this zoo is "different".
I've been told that the animals are "beautiful".
I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised.
The end.
 Tortoise: Vertebrate - Reptile
Giraffe: (My Favorite of the Day!) Vertberate - Mammal - Males can reach up to 16' high. Babies are born between 5-6 feet tall after up to 15 months gestation. They can drink an average of 12 gallons of water at one time. The veins in their necks have one way valves to regulate blood flow to the brain and prevent them from getting dizzy when they bend down to drink! Their hearts can weigh up to 25 lbs and are strong enough to pump blood up their long necks.
How cool!
 Watusi: Vertebrates - Mammal
 Bactrian Camel: Vertebrate - Mammal
 Capuchin: Vertebrate - Mammel
 Camels have HUGE heads. I never though of a camel as "intimidating" before today.
 Cheetah: Vertebrate - Mammel (terrifying without even trying!) This was Bean's favorite.
 Chimp: Vertebrate - Mammal (So fun!)

 Sloth: Vertebrate - Mammal
 Totally blanking on the name but the baby and adult were sweet to watch.
 Kangaroo: Vertbrate - Mammal - Marsupial (aka babies finish their growth outside the womb.)
 Leopard: Vertebrate - Mammal (Bee-You-Tea-Full colors in person!)
 Lion: Vertebrate - Mammal (lazy sack o'....)
 Rhinosaurus: Vertebrate - Mammal - HUGE!
We saw plenty of birds and mammals though no fish or amphibians.
Guess we may have to head to the aquarium soon!
All in all we had quite a fun day and I recommend you check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love a good comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails